Lab / Membership
Become a member for access to our state-of-the-art digital lab, darkroom, and more.
Our facility is open to everyone. Members have access to high-end production equipment and a rock-solid, supportive, and knowledgeable community of staff and fellow members. Lab orientation and assistance is provided continually.
Have questions or want to become a member?
Become A Member
|General Public (Year)||$150|
|SU ID Holders, Students, Seniors 65+ (Year)||$100|
|Short-term (Four Month)||$60|
All year memberships expire exactly one year from the day you become a member. We encourage you to consider the value of becoming a yearly member over our shorter-term options, to give yourself the most flexibility and best value.
• Access to the digital lab
• Ability to reserve black-and-white darkroom and lab equipment
• Use of professional quality Flextight film scanners
• Staff assistance
• Invitations to Light Work receptions and special events
• Viewing walls, lounge, and critique areas
The Light Work digital lab is set up in an intuitive workstation format with Mac computers, color-managed monitors, print viewing stations, professional grade scanners, and easy to use DIY printers.
- M1 Mac Minis
- Color-calibrated Eizo monitors
- Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro and Bridge
- Epson 5000 and 20000 (prints up to 64 inches wide)
- Canon Pro 4000 and 6000 (prints up to 60 inches wide)
- Color managed workflow and custom paper profiles for stocked papers
- Large magnetic viewing walls
- GTI 5500K dimmable viewing stations
- 54” Rotatrim
- Central compressed air
- Professional Hasselblad Flextight film scanners
- Epson 11000xl and V850 flatbed scanners
- Howtek 4500 Scanmaster drum scanner
- Guillotine paper cutter
- Spiral book binding machine
- Hot glue book binding machine
Our black-and-white darkroom started out in the early 1970s as a student and alumni-run facility. We are still going strong with one of the best traditional wet labs in the area.
• 4×5 Saunders enlarger with built-in filter system (up to 20 x 24 inches)
• Compressed air inside the darkroom
• Tray processing
• Archival print washers
• RC print dryer
• Negative dryer
• Ventilated toning area
• Drying racks for fiber based paper
• Wheelchair accessible enlarger and wash sink
The finishing area workspace can accommodate large and small projects on our oversized work tables and equipment.
• Dry mount press
• Light tables
• Large work area
Interested in reserving equipment or space?
Visit our Reservations page for more info.
Members of Light Work Lab are expected to conduct themselves in a manner supportive of the educational mission of the institution. Membership fees are non-refundable, and members are responsible for the equipment they use. The misuse or damage of equipment, the storage of hazardous materials, or violations of codes of conduct can result in the immediate loss of membership.