Lab / Membership
Become a member for access to our state-of-the-art digital lab, darkroom, lighting studio, and more.
Our facility is open to everyone. Members have access to high-end production equipment and a rock-solid, supportive, and knowledgeable community of staff and fellow members.
Lab orientation and assistance is provided continually. A year-long membership also includes discounted classes and workshops. All members also receive 20% OFF Contact Sheet, signed books, and prints in the Light Work Shop.
Have questions or want to become a member?
Become A Member
|General Public (Year)||$150|
|SU ID Holders, Students, Seniors 65+ (Year)||$100|
|Short-term (Four Month)||$60|
All year memberships expire exactly one year from the day you become a member. We encourage you to consider the value of becoming a yearly member over our shorter-term options, to give yourself the most flexibility and best value.
• Access to the digital lab
• Ability to reserve black-and-white darkroom, the lighting studio, and lab equipment
• Use of professional quality Flextight film scanners
• Use of Epson printers
• Staff assistance
• Invitations to Light Work receptions and special events
• Viewing walls, lounge, and critique areas
Our Printmaker Membership is designed for working artists that plan to utilize the lab regularly for printing their work. It includes a full-size flat-file and up to 5 FREE one-hour Sessions with lab staff.
The Light Work digital lab is set up in an intuitive workstation format with Mac computers, color-managed monitors, print viewing stations, professional-grade scanners, and easy-to-use DIY printers.
• Mac Pros, Mac Minis, and iMacs
• Adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, Premiere, After Effects)
• color-calibrated monitors
• Professional Flextight film scanners
• Epson 11000xl
• GTI 5500K dimmable viewing stations
• Epson and Canon professional printers
• Color managed workflow and custom paper profiles
• Large magnetic viewing walls
• Central compressed air
Our black-and-white darkroom started out in the early 1970s as a student and alumni-run facility. We are still going strong with one of the best traditional wet labs in the area.
• 4×5 Saunders enlarger with built-in filter system (up to 20 x 24 inches)
• Compressed air inside the darkroom
• Tray processing
• Archival print washers
• RC print dryer
• Negative dryer
• Ventilated toning area
• Drying racks for fiber based paper
• Wheelchair accessible enlarger and wash sink
Our lighting studio provides members with the ability to quickly set up studio lighting and copy stand work. The studio includes an overhead track system that makes it fast and easy to position lights.
• Soft boxes, reflectors, beauty dishes and full array of light shaping equipment
• Tripods, light stands and c-stands
• Seamless backdrops
• Lighting system
• Copy stand
The finishing area workspace can accommodate large and small projects on our oversized work tables and equipment.
• Dry mount press
• Light tables
• Large work area
Interested in reserving equipment or space?
Visit our Reservations page for more info.
Members of Light Work Lab are expected to conduct themselves in a manner supportive of the educational mission of the institution. Membership fees are non-refundable, and members are responsible for the equipment they use. The misuse or damage of equipment, the storage of hazardous materials, or violations of codes of conduct can result in the immediate loss of membership.