Lab / DIY
We believe in the “Do-It-Yourself” ethos as key to being a self-reliant artist.
We encourage members of Light Work Lab to use the space in a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) manner. After a short orientation and equipment training, we offer members access to high-end printmaking at extremely low rates. The advantage of this methodology is artists learn a valuable skill set as well as get extremely affordable costs.
Contact us for more information:
Everything at Light Work begins with membership. Once you have joined our community as a member, you have access to our state-of-the-art lab including computers running Adobe CC, Epson inkjet printers, scanners, and a darkroom. With an active membership, you can reserve equipment for no extra cost by visiting our reservations page.
We offer paper provided and client provided options for DIY printing. Our two papers that we stock for paper provided are photo weight Hahnemuhle Fiber Matte and Lexjet E-Satin. Maximum width for our media is 44 inches. Prints are always billed by final paper size, using the following calculation:
(Height x Width) x (Sq. in. price) = Cost of print.
Paper provided: $.022 / Sq. in.
Client provided paper: $.015 / Sq. in.
Stocked Matte Paper: Hahnemühle Photo Matt Fibre 200gsm
Stocked Luster Paper: Lexjet Sunset Production eSatin 250gsm
DIY Digital Lab
The Light Work digital lab is set up in an intuitive workstation format with Mac computers, color-managed monitors, print viewing stations, professional grade scanners, and easy to use DIY printers.
- M1 Mac Minis
- Color-calibrated Eizo monitors
- Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Pro and Bridge
- Epson 5000 and 20000 (prints up to 64 inches wide)
- Canon Pro 4000 and 6000 (prints up to 60 inches wide)
- Color managed workflow and custom paper profiles for stocked papers
- Large magnetic viewing walls
- GTI 5500K dimmable viewing stations
- 54” Rotatrim
- Central compressed air
- Professional Hasselblad Flextight film scanners
- Epson 11000xl and V850 flatbed scanners
- Howtek 4500 Scanmaster drum scanner
- Guillotine paper cutter
- Spiral book binding machine
- Hot glue book binding machine
DIY Scanning lab
We have a wide array of scanners available for members to use. All scanners except for the drum scanner are free to use. We recommend making a reservation prior to your planned visit in order to guarantee use of the equipment.
• Professional Hasselblad Flextight film scanners
• Epson 11000xl and V850 flatbed scanners
• Howtek 4500 Scanmaster drum scanner
• Film light tables
Drum scans are $11 a load. The number of scans you can fit per load depends on your film format. You can fit 15 35mm, but only 1 8×10 per load. To DIY on this scanner, a training session is required.